In June 1986 the Freemen formed a charity, Sudbury Freemen’s Trust to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the first record of Sudbury freemen, as the burgesses of the Manor, in the Domesday Book, 1086 AD. The purpose of such a charity had been defined to assist needy freemen and their families, to assist the training (apprenticeships) of young people in occupations qualifying them to become freemen, to assist and support local projects in the town. A Chairman, Treasurer and Trustees were elected by the freemen.
As part of the negotiations with the Trust, Charity Commission and Common Lands it was agreed an annual income would be given to Sudbury Freemen’s Trust to enable funding for future projects. A new scheme was agreed by the Charity Commission in May 1987. This replaced the original idea of raising an income for the charity from donations by freemen.
A logo designed by E.G.Filer, incorporated the Sudbury maces, was adopted, with the concurrence of the Town Council.
For all funding enquires please contact the Hon. Secretary using the email address at the bottom of the page.