Remembering Belle Vue Red Cross Hospital, Sudbury, 1915 – 1922

Remembering Belle Vue Red Cross Hospital, Sudbury, 1915 – 1922

The Red Cross took over Belle Vue House, Sudbury, after the outbreak of the First World War and used it as a hospital for soldiers, in need of convalescence, from many different military field hospitals.

A number of local women became Red Cross VADs (Volunteer Auxiliary Division) who volunteered to work at Belle Vue. The Sudbury Freemen’s Trust is planning a new project in 2020 to remember the work of the nurses and other local people who worked in the kitchens, the wards and the grounds.

Agnes Kemball
Belle Vue Red Cross Hospital