William Ray

William Ray, proof of admission as a Free Burgess (Image from the Sudbury Town Archive)

The Ray family of watch and clockmakers lived next to the Moot Hall in Sudbury.

The Ray family shop was to the left of the Moot Hall in Sudbury and was demolished in April 1845 when the houses round St. Peter’s Church were taken down and the market was moved to what we now call the Market Hill. Gainsborough Street is to the right of the Moot Hall with the sign of ‘The Black Boy Inn’ just visible.
(Image by C.P. Leggett)